Friday, December 16, 2011

Seasonal Holiday Fare Has Lost It's Appeal...?

So, the season is upon us again!  Do you remember when you were a little kid, how it always seemed to take SO LONG for Christmas to arrive each year?  Now that you're an adult, it's more like, 'It's Christmas again - already??!'

It's that time of year when so many of us over-indulge in the abundance of seasonal fare and party foods and/or gatherings and parties... and we sabotage our otherwise healthy lifestyle.

I'm curious as to whether other like-minded people choose to remain (for the most part) on their regular diet and exercise regime or whether you just let it all hang out and go to hell in a handbasket for the week or two of holiday celebrations?

For me, I like the extra time off work to put towards extra workout sessions... it's so nice to not have to worry about getting up at 5am or getting to bed by 9pm in order to be able to function at the office... and still be able to enjoy quality workout sessions as well as enjoy leisure activities.

I enjoy the extra time off work when I can play in the kitchen and create something delicious for myself and others. 

As much as I loathe the thought of sabotaging my nutritional plan (which is usually pretty clean) I admit I'm not immune to the allure of Scottish shortbread petticoat tails (I grew up in the UK...) or - heaven help me - if there is a fruitcake or a Christmas pudding in the vicinity - it's all over...  but I've realized this year that even those well-loved indulgences just don't sit well with me anymore.

Could it be that my tastebuds are changing for these once much anticipated once yearly special treats?  Oh... a part of me is crying inside as I write this... I (sob) did not enjoy the shortbread this morning!  I dutifully ate it as I had pulled it from the tin with my bare hands... but - yuk!  I have no idea why this happened.  I'm now afraid to go looking for a traditional fruitcake recipe or friend who baked one... in case that, too, ends up falling flat in my mouth. 

I wonder whether all of my months of baking cookies and cakes for other people has finally just culminated in a general apathy towards sweets for me personally?  Sigh...

I should be happy - I know!  I don't pig out on these (forbidden) foods anyway - but gee - it would be nice to enjoy those small indulgences rather than just thinking 'eww... I should have had vegetables'.

So... I guess I'm going to have to start a new holiday tradition this year:  gold cake sparkles on mashed sweet potato and brussels sprouts with green edible glitter... after all, there is no reason why it shouldn't LOOK festive... even though it's not traditionally found on a sweet table...

I'm getting old... (or wiser... or something...)

Hmmpf...

No comments:

Post a Comment