Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sue's Quinoa, Kale/Spinach & Chickpea Soup


It's been rather cold in Toronto lately.  No real snow but still... brrr... !  As much as I love to eat raw foods, I was hankering for something warm...  so I decided to make some delicious soup.

I know... in a perfect world, I would not have used tinned chickpeas or purchased broth - but the world is not perfect and neither am I - sometimes you are hungry and need to use up what you have on hand!



INGREDIENTS

3 large tins chickpeas - rinsed
2 large boxes reduced sodium broth - vegetable or chicken (900ml each) 3 larger carrots, sliced
2-3 large stalks of celery, chopped
4 cups spinach, chopped (kale is good too)
2 cups broccoli, chopped
1 cup quinoa
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 red onion, chopped
1" fresh ginger - sliced (2" if you want it more spicy)
1 cup parsley, chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp turmeric
3 tbsp olive oil

METHOD

In large stock pot...
Sauté onions, garlic and spices in oil until soft
Add all other ingredients except quinoa
Bring to rapid boil then add quinoa and lower heat to minimum for 20-30 minutes 
This makes a large pot - approx. 8-12 servings, depending on size of serving


* Note:  apparently this soup was so delicious, I got excited about eating it and forgot to photograph it!  OOPS!!


No comments:

Post a Comment