Race Day - August 22, 2010:
I got up at 3am. This wasn't in the training plan !
9:17 -- OMG... I never want to be that long on a course again! Unless it's a full Ironman!! Lol!!
- The race venue is INCREDIBLY beautiful.
- The race volunteers were better than GREAT - they were FANTASTIC! Still smiling and encouraging and standing out in the rain while us slower athletes raced at our own pace :)
- There was FOOD at the end of the race - yes, I kid you not...! I actually had plenty of food waiting for me... that's a FIRST.
- The finish line photographer abandoned his post before the course was closed (very disappointing)
- The race organizers did not have sufficient 70.3 medals for those who were racing the event
- My finish time was 9:17... -- ROFL!!!
End result: I am a superstar ;) Never in my dreams would I have imagined that I could do what I did - whether in 6 hours, 9 hours or 12... I have pushed my internal boundaries and conquered!!
What's next...? NO - not Ironman!! I'm getting excited looking at all of the other 70.3/half-iron distance triathlon courses for 2011...
Life is good.
Huge waves of gratitude go out to the following:
JJ Neely, my coach -- You rock!! You trained me and prepared me for this HUGE event in my life and I DID IT!!
Steven Hill, my physiotherapist -- You rock, too!! It's been a long road of trying to get me 'balanced' but I finished the event (albeit slower than the average bear) UNbroken!!!
Tara Postnikoff, my nutritionist -- for arming me with all of the knowledge I needed to fuel properly and stay healthy and fit throughout my training and racing this summer!
Eric D'Arcy, my husband, partner in crime and father of my furkids -- Honey, next time you have to wait for me to finish on a course, in the pouring rain, or scorching sunshine... hungry, thirsty, trying to take 'decent' photographs... just remember one thing: THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!! LOL! If it weren't for you, I would not have taken up this insane sport in the first place!
All of my friends from FMCT who were there with me in New Hampshire and made me feel as though I had won a GOLD MEDAL when I returned to the rented house we stayed in, with loud cheering, applause, hugs and champagne!!
All of my friends from childhood, from the Mississauga Triathlon Club, the staff from the vet clinic and from my workplace - WSIB -- you all encouraged me to go for it and live my dream...
THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU for making my life so much richer!!