Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sue's Southwestern Black Bean Burger (Vegan)


This week, I was dying for a burger - something that was filling and could be held in a pita... I came up with these vegan black bean burgers - the recipe is a keeper!  Not only are they packed with protein and good fats - they are delicious!!

You could even eat the patties 'as is' without additional cooking but the seeds toast up really nicely and I like the added crunchy texture... 


 Ingredients 

1/2 cup black beans
1/2 cup cooked brown rice (I find it's best if the rice is cool)
1/4 cup onion
1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro - more if you have
1/2 - 1tsp cumin 
Black pepper to taste 
1/2 cup flax seeds (whole)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp nutritional yeast

* optional - cayenne pepper would be nice (I'm allergic to it so I can't use it...) 


Method 

Pulse in food processor till just combined - add seeds at the end so that they don't get pulverized 
Form patties (I use a patty press for consistency )

Bake, grill, fry... ENJOY!!

Makes 2 burgers 


No comments:

Post a Comment