Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sue's Southwestern Black Bean Soup (Vegan)


Another cold snap in Ontario... we spent my birthday at Blue Mountain (Collingwood, ON) and that week, the temperatures were around -32 c - just lovely!  (NOT)  Great weather for sitting by a fireplace, playing board games and having warming, comforting foods... 

When we drove home again, we were both hungry and I was in too much of a rush to make dinner to have time to soak my beans overnight, etc., so once again, this was a quick soup thrown together with ingredients on hand.  When I make this again, I will plan better and soak my dried beans overnight... 

It's hearty and filling and oh-so good!


INGREDIENTS

3 tins black beans (do not rinse) 1/2 red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 large tin stewed tomatoes
1 bunch of cilantro, washed and chopped 
1 tsp cayenne (optional - since I am allergic, I have to forego this ingredient)
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander
Black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil

METHOD

In medium size pot...
Sauté onions, garlic and spices with oil
Add all other ingredients and bring to rapid boil
Turn down to minimum for 20-30 minutes

Use immersion blender to combine all ingredients before serving 

Makes 4-6 generous servings ** I like to top with more chopped cilantro ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment